Saturday, May 8, 2010

A fabulous (& tumultuous) Saturday

Scott and I have had such a fantastic day today. We got to sleep in, then make a wonderful breakfast of blueberry muffins with scrambled eggs and chorizo. After we cleaned up a bit, we went for a "hike" on a trail near our house. Honestly though the most hiking involved was up the giant hill before the trail. I now have a new found compassion for my car as it complains its way up that slope, whining and hurling insults at me the whole way. That and a clear awareness of how out of shape Scott and I are. At least our thighs. Woefully I tell you.

The trail turned out to be pretty, but very short. It takes you to a little park on the other side of the hill between the neighborhoods. On our way back, we decided to stop and gather a few of the beautiful flowers that were blossoming all over the place, which may or may not be against "the rules" but I figured it was probably just frowned upon. So they are now sitting in a little vase on our coffee table, so bright and perky. Aka: I feel no guilt.


Afterward we went to Amvet Thrift Store down on Washington and found two fabulous shirts for Scotto. One is Eddie Bauer (which he looks smashing in) and the other is Land's End. Not bad Amvet! I may not understand your name, but I like some of your stuff. I also pointed out to Scott the place where the old Asian man had dropped his drawers to try on some pants. I felt this was an important part of my tour de la thrift.

We decided this one was a good camping shirt. Fits the bill well. Both shirts are having a good soak in the washer so that they may be worn by their new owner. Pre-owned clothing gets a solid soak then wash in my book.

We then made our way to OB to rummage through some antique stores. Great fun minus the large man/woman that seemed to follow us through the store. It was one of those situations where I am certain that if I stared closely enough, I would be able to tell the gender...however, this was not a desirable option. He/She always seemed just a step behind us which was odd but then again it was a crowded store. Eventually he-she-him-her lost interest in us or saw something shiny and moved on. We were too enthralled with old road maps to notice.

After this adventure, we treated ourselves to a split meal at Burger Lounge and gave ourselves a vanilla shake to boot! This was all a fabulous idea the entire time we were relishing our meal. But of course, all good things must come to an end. Or in this case, a screeching, stomach churning halt.

I am of course lactose intolerant. This does not prove to be such a difficulty in the day to day because Scott and I do not have much dairy. A little creamer here, Lactaid milk there, sour cream on that burrito, and the occasional smattering of queso on various meals. Therefore this onslaught of demon possessed milk + ice cream combo was a certain death threat. I even knew it the entire time I was eating, but I just wanted to enjoy myself.

Naturally I am paying for it now. Rather dearly as I seem to be hosting a boxing match inside my stomach. I think we've gone into overtime but I could be wrong. I've been downing water (like that will help) since we got home, but really all I think it's doing is going in there, saying, "Hey! Alright, alright, break it up you guys! ...Oh man...you're really going at it there...oh shoot! I'm just water! What was I thinking?? I don't have the cojones for this! Pardon me, eh heh, don't mind me, I'm just going to scoot by you here and, 'scuse me, be on my way." Lame water. Thanks for nuthin.

We are now watching a movie - or rather Scott is watching and I am listening...from another room. It's a scary movie and I'm just not into some of those. I think I will conveniently make a reappearance 20 minutes to the end of the film. And then get up frequently for more water. And to use the facilities due to the dumb water.

I think it's about that time now, so I hope you all are having a fabulous Mothers Day weekend! Take care and love on the mothers, they are pretty fab.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, my expression is nearly the same in both pictures...I guess I make that face a lot.

AH! I was just doing that face again!

Candy said...

"Amvets" means "American Veterans". The money made at their thrift stores goes to them. Momma

Sweet Lub said...

That was my first guess for the name...I think they could have been a little more creative, but I guess they don't care much.

Squiddo said...

I miss you guys, a little more than Burger Lounge. Well, yes a little more. Hope all is well.

Post a Comment